creative problem solver
expert project manager
Design is a way of thinking – an approach to solving complex problems by drawing upon logic, imagination, intuition, and experience. With almost 20 years in the field as a technology-savvy designer, creative director, project manager and multi-level educator, I am a translator among creatives, clients, and audiences.
You pass the baton. I run with it.
14+ years experience in print and web design – specializing in design for non-profits, community and family organizations, educational institutions, and small business.
6+ years experience teaching art and design to students in Year 1 through the university level.
On the teaching page of this site you can find the results of what has been one of my most challenging and rewarding life adventures. It has been fascinating taking one idea such as “pattern” and developing projects suitable to all ages of student.
INSTRUCTION AND CURRICULUM DEVELOPMENT/ALIGNMENT
Experience developing and teaching software-based and hands-on design classes at the university level. Experience teaching multi-level (K-12) visual art courses and developing curriculum based on North Carolina and International Baccalaureate (IB) guidelines.
High Point University, High Point, North Carolina, August 2011 – present
- Develop syllabi, projects, project management calendars, and rubrics for both software-based and hands-on design classes including Fundamentals of Design, Graphic Design Studio I & II, Digital Art & Design, and Art & Design for the Web.
- Implement online learning and assessment tools through BlackBoard.
- Mentor graduating students on portfolio and professional development.
- Facilitate the graphic design department's evaluation and improvement of course and project objectives to align with the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD) standards through the self-study-based accreditation process.
Xi’an Hi-Tech International School, International Department, Xi’an, China, August 2012 – June 2013
Visual Arts Teacher / Marketing / Writing
- Developed and implemented a rigorous Visual Arts curriculum for the entire school that brought the program in line with International Baccalaureate (IB) Primary Years Program (PYP) and Middle Years Program (MYP) standards.
- Responsible for rebranding (logo, website, print collateral) and marketing the school via expatriate print/web publications.
- Wrote several articles about my family’s cross-cultural experience for the local expat publication Xianese.
Participate (formerly Visiting International Faculty (VIF) Program), Chapel Hill, NC, June 2000 – December 2002
- Developed and delivered 90-minute presentations to small and large groups of newly-arrived international educators regarding the practical and cultural nuances of establishing their new lives in the United States such as social security, banking, driving, and local community programs.
Western Alamance High School, Burlington, NC, January – June 2000
Visual Arts Teacher
- Taught the fundamentals of art and design to years 9–12, levels I–IV.
- Created grade and level-appropriate lessons for drawing, painting, multimedia, ceramics, and art history based on state curriculum guidelines.
- Facilitated an end-of-year student art show.
EDUCATION, LICENSURE AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
MFA Graphic Design, Vermont College of Fine Arts, 2016
AAS, Graphic Design & Advertising, Alamance Community College, 2003
BA (Honors), English/German, Studio Art minor, Guilford College, 1995
Licensure: Visual Arts (PreK-8)
Massachusetts Department of Elementary & Secondary Education Issued 17 August 2012
Adobe Creative Suite
HTML / CSS
BlackBoard (virtual learning/course management)
Basecamp (project management)
EXTENSIVE EXPERIENCE WITH INTERNATIONAL DESIGN STUDIOS, LOCAL DESIGN STUDIOS, AND INDEPENDENT CLIENTS WITH A FOCUS ON EDUCATION AND COMMUNITY.
Experience with two highly-regarded small design studios in Perth, Western Australia. Experience with growing, local studio as Senior Designer with extensive experience in web design. On-going success as a Freelance Designer in both Australia and the United States.
Freelance Design, United States and Australia
Manage and design print and web projects for a wide range of clients with a focus on education and community.
- Kindermusik International
- Morgan Reynolds Publishing
- Youth Hostel Association, Australia
July 2003 – present
Sevenly, Raleigh, North Carolina www.sevenly.org
Creative Director / Project Manager • October 2016 – September 2017
- Developed new art, campaign concepts, and campaign strategies for this socially-conscious, online advocacy apparel outfitter.
- Liaised with charity partners and external vendors in the development of messaging and collateral.
- Managed a four-person team in the production of weekly 7-day campaigns that included new art, new apparel, accessories, website assets, and social media assets.
University of North Carolina Greensboro, Greensboro, North Carolina online.uncg.edu
Designer – Online Course Development and Marketing • December 2013 – July 2015
- Collaborated with Instructional Technology Consultants and faculty to develop relevant, engaging course materials and ancillary marketing collateral for UNCG Online courses.
- Provided creative support – print and web – for the in-house marketing department of UNCG Online.
Alloy Design + Development (formerly Kilpatrick Design), Winston-Salem, NC www.alloymagnetic.com
Senior Graphic Designer • December 2007 – August 2011
- Developed strong branding strategies for dissemination through web-based media with a focus on community, environmental responsibility, and innovation.
- Built meaningful website architecture as well as highly aesthetic web designs.
Media on Mars Design Solutions, Fremantle, Western Australia www.mediaonmars.com.au
Senior Graphic Designer • August 2004 – December 2007
- Designed print and web materials for a wide range of clients including the City of Perth, Western Australia government and environmental organizations, community groups, and local businesses.
- Wrote proposals, estimated costs, developed timelines, and managed projects from beginning to end.
- Facilitated the improvement and marketing of this dynamic, growing business.
30 YEARS AS AN ENGAGED CITIZEN OF THE WORLD
Traveled extensively to destinations in Europe, Canada, China, Thailand, New Zealand, and Australia
1986 – present
Lived and worked in Perth, Western Australia
July 2003 – December 2007
Hiked, climbed, and kayaked through the Rocky Mountains,
National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS)
June – August 1998
Lived and worked in Edinburgh, Scotland
September – December 1995
Lived in Stuttgart, Germany
August 1986 – June 1991